This was taken from the Kansas City Regional Association of REALTORS website:
Starting on July 1, 2009, all residential real estate contracts in the state will need to contain the following language:
‘‘Every buyer of residential real property is notified that the property may present exposure to dangerous concentrations of indoor radon gas that may place occupants at risk of developing radon-induced lung cancer. Radon, a class-A human carcinogen, is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers and the second leading cause overall. Kansas law requires sellers to disclose any information known to the seller that shows elevated concentrations of radon gas in residential real property. The Kansas department of health and environment recommends all homebuyers have an indoor radon test performed prior to purchasing or taking occupancy of residential real property. All testing for radon should be conducted by a radon measurement technician. Elevated radon concentrations can be easily reduced by a radon mitigation technician. For more information, please go to http://www.kansasradonprogram.org.”
As inspectors, we hear irrational comments regarding radon over and over:
- “Radon is no big deal”
- “Its not a problem in KC”
- “Its not a problem in (insert your county here) county.
- “The house has a walkout basement and doesn’t need to be tested”
- “Radon testing is a bunch of hog-wash – its never been proven to be a problem”
- “Testing is a waste of money – I don’t believe in it”
- “Its a new house – radon can’t be a problem yet”
- “Its an old house – the radon would be long gone by now”
….the list goes on…
But it makes you wonder. If the state of Kansas is going to require the statement above to be included in real estate contracts, why would someone advise against testing? If the state says radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers, why would someone choose not to test?
By the way, I’ll bet you that the same people who made the comments above, all use sunscreen at the pool. Go figure.